Go to Forum Home Building Refurbishment and Retrofit airtightness in refurbishment

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Has anyone managed to achieve high airtightness levels in a refurbishment of a house in the UK? or do you know anyone who has?
      Some projects in Germany have been certified to achieve 0.2 air changes per hour in refurbishment.
      Is there a secret we don't know about or is it just good design, detailing and workmanship?

The UK hasn't managed 0.2 on new build. The best I know of ever is about 1.1 (a house built near Reading in 1995 from concrete/BECO). Paul J might know of better figures as he tests lots of buildings.

I'm suspicious about 0.2 m3/m2hr @ 50 Pa on a retrofit. The tightest new build ever, anywhere on the planet (Canada), was 0.15.

I hope you are using units of m3/m2hr at 50 Pa. 0.2 ac/h @ 50 Pa can be fairly easily achieved on a large enough building, so long as it has an enormous volume and a relatively small surface area.

David.

Thanks David
      That makes sense now the German measurements seems to be always in airchanges per hour.

Mark Siddall
      Participant

David,
        “So long as it has an enormous volume and a relatively small surface area”

You mean like the Tardis?

😉

Nick Grant
        Participant

Also beware units of litres/second/m2 @ 50Pa which I just spotted in the latest PH proceedings!

0.2 l/s/m2 = 0.7 m/h

It's worth repeating that the structure should not penetrate the airbarrier – rafters, purlins, floors etc.

nick

Viewing 4 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.