Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Now before anyone jumps up and says there is no such thing we have some clients who wish to avoid costly new plumbing works to their house, and see the fact that they buy their electricity from Good Energy, and plan on having solar PV next year (despite FiTs slashed) see electric heating as a viable alternative.

We are working with them to improve all of the thermal envelope (over time), so that their heating requirement should be fairly small – so the electric heaters will eventually hardly be used.

However, as I have always campaigned against this route in the past, I am having to research this quite heavily now and would appreciate some assistance – we are looking at Low energy radiators – any good makes that achieve the sort of savings that we would be looking for over 20 year old oil filled electric radiators?

Does anyone have any experience with IR heating? we have tried a panel out, and the heat is different from convection, and i guess this is quite a subjective issue… opinions welcome…

Nick Grant
      Participant

Worth re-reading the Green Electricity Illusion by David Olivier.

I did see an advert for electric heaters in Saturday Guardian that said they are compatible with PV so that a good lead.

(for those that don't know me, yes I'm being sarcastic).

The PV on the roof and choice of electricity supplier is a red herring. If they don't burn the electricity to heat the house then it can be used by someone else instead of fossil derived electricity.

Nick

Thanks Nick & Kate, I take the point of the Green Electricity illusion – and have even given a copy to my clients to read – but I don't want to discourage them from their commitment to using a renewable energy supplier, because after all, it is only through demand that the continued development of this sector will happen (they pay 15p/kWh rather than 10p/kWh which would be available through a big 6 supplier)… a feeling that they share.

the plan is certainly for a really good job on the thermal efficiency (integrated in with other works – new kitchen/bathroom/redecs/wood burning stove/PV/grass roof etc), but as ever the issue is budget/disruption/time and we have to be practical as to what they can afford, and appreciate that they also have other priorities – there is only so many time i can say to them i really can't see electrical heating as a viable alternative, when they have really set their hearts on not installing a wet heating system.

So, what would be really helpful if there is anyone out there who has had to go down this route and have used a system successfully, and any feedback on what good products there are out there… thanks in advance.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.