Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Ben Gorman
      Participant

Here is Question 5, along with my thoughts about how to answer it. I don’t know whether or not I have the correct answer. I would be really interested in your comments.

Be aware that the online quiz tends to change the order of the answer options.

**** BACKGROUND TO QUIZ QUESTION ****

Walls
        The bricks used have some imperfections – a result of variation in quality of the local clay used and an inconsistent firing process – and so are relatively rough and fissured in texture. However they appear have stood up to the exposed weather conditions reasonably well. Nonetheless there are areas of the brickwork surface that have spalled (area f).

**** QUIZ QUESTION ****

Quiz question 5
        It has become evident that there is a musty atmosphere in the rooms with the insulated wall boards installed. Which of these statements are likely to be true?
        1. Rain driven moisture has entered the brickwork and wet the plaster and wallpaper promoting conditions for mould growth.
        2. Inadequate ventilation of the rooms causes mould growth behind the lining boards which gives the musty smell.
        3. Air from the interior of the house is moving behind the wallboard leading to condensation and mould growth forming on the cooler surfaces behind.
        4. blocking the air movement described in 3. would remove all risks of mould forming on the old wallpaper.
        5. Leaving the wallpaper in place gives ideal conditions for mould growth

**** MY THOUGHTS ****

I would consider 1 might be correct because I know bricks can absorb water and driving rain causes bricks to get wetter than normal rain.

I think 2 (poor ventilation) could be a cause. Moisture from cooking and breathing could travel behind the wallpaper/paint and get into the wall boards.

3 could also be cause – for the same reason as 2.

Blocking air movement as described in 3 would not remove all risks of moisture because there is still the chance that water from driving rain could get in to the brick work.

5 – if mould spores are on the wallpaper already then leaving the wallpaper in place may cause further mould to grow. It would have to be removed carefully though to prevent mould spores being spread around the house.

Tim Gilbert
        Participant

Hi Ben,

I would go for 1 and 3. 4 and 5 are assisting factors in solving the problem but not cures. Even if you stripped the (nutritious) wallpaper before insulating there will still be spores and other nutrition and blocking the access to air won’t remove ALL risk factors. We already know that the walls are permeable and cracked and mould can get by on very little air. For all I know some might even be anaerobic.

Tim

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.