Go to Forum Home Building Refurbishment and Retrofit Victorian Detached on the Isle of Mull

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I want to add insulation to an existing victorian solid wall villa. Internally I know this can be a difficult issue, especially with floor joists and other penetrating structure. Looking at external insulation and render as a more practical solution, as the roof is also being replaced this would resolve the eaves detail. I am concerned though about what happens at ground level. Mull has very high levels of humidity ( :D) and the property is in a very exposed site. Are there any books/papers showing details or solutions for preventing mouldy sub-floor?

Am looking at internally insulating the front facade and externally insulating the sides and rear. I see I should return the internal insulation to prevent cold bridging. Does anyone have first hand experience of doing something like this. Does it work?

Skye is equally damp and the few well-insulated (modern) houses there are warm and dry all year – no problems with dampness.

External insulation as Andy did in Hereford is more promising, in terms of keeping the existing structure warmer and dryer than it was before.

Unless the house is listed, is it necessary to internally insulate? Introduces lots of problems.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.