Addressing the skills gap and meeting demand for upskilling
AECB Training Cited in Government 'Heat and Buildings Strategy'
The AECB CarbonLite™ Retrofit course is cited as one of the routes for the buildings sector to upskill towards decarbonising buildings and heating, as a crucial part of efforts to meet net zero carbon targets in the UK.
THE course for those involved in retrofit
This cutting edge advanced retrofit training course is the culmination of many years of investment by the AECB. It is aimed at construction professionals and those whose role involves decision making around retrofit.
On this course you will
Develop your understanding of heat and moisture in buildings.
Understand the issues that can arise from the repair, insulation, draught proofing and ventilation of existing buildings (relevant to a wide range of construction types, based mainly on UK examples of different ages)
Learn about ways to avoid or manage unintended consequences.
Find out about investment appraisal methods for retrofit.
This is member only training
You need to be an AECB member to access the training, so please join prior to booking the course.
Free course content is available for you to preview
Price to AECB Members £410+VAT.
If you join us as a company, all employees are covered by membership. So, if you have more than one person to train, this is worth considering
Earn 35 Passivhaus Institut (PHI) credit points on successful completion of course
The Passivhaus Institute have agreed that delegates passing the course will be allocated 35 credit points on receiving their certificate. This will be useful to Passivhaus designers/consultants looking to renew and in terms of cost, it is very competitively priced option compared to other Passivhaus CPD events.
Who is this course for?
The CarbonLite Retrofit Training Course is an online course, aimed at construction professionals and those whose role involves decision making around retrofit. The course brings together a wealth of knowledge on low energy building retrofit and methodology. To get the most out of taking the full course you will already have good professional knowledge within the construction sector. You will have a serious interest in how to do advanced energy efficient retrofit and be wanting to deepen your understanding of building physics and the risks associated with measures, to enable you to make informed decisions.
Homeowners with a desire to drive their own retrofit projects will also find this course useful. While only the more technically minded will be interested in all the detail, there is much useful knowledge even for those who are less technical.
- The direct and indirect benefits of robust retrofit
- Climate zones, local micro-climates and impact of changing weather patterns
- Understanding existing building structures and materials
- Energy and buildings
- Moisture and buildings
- Building services, including ventilation and heat
- Financial appraisal – is retrofit a good investment?
- Case studies
- Read and follow modules at your leisure, to fit around work and other commitments
- There is an online test at the end of most lessons to check your learning
- Communicate with fellow students to discuss learning or to post questions arising from the material on the dedicated on-line forum.
- For each of the core modules there will be a homework task to cover specific retrofit challenges.
Webinars which compliment the course are available. They are optional and open to all AECB members.
- You will need to be an AECB member so please join prior to booking the course.
- The course can be booked and started at any time. The proposed 12 month time span allows for prior commitments like holidays and full time work. Some students will need more time, some less. Everyone has the option to extend access over 12 months for an annual fee of £55 + VAT.
- All material is presented on-line so a reasonable internet connection is required.
- Links to additional reading
- Access to a speaker and microphone may be useful to join webinars (but are not normally essential if your computer has a reasonable speaker and microphone built in).