The Association for Environment Conscious Building
Established Since 1989
The AECB has a whole range of things going on that you can be involved in,
Join the AECB
If you are not already a member, please consider joining the AECB
Get in touch
Please contact us with any questions you may have about the AECB
Our Call to Action
The AECB recognises that the acute environmental and social challenges that humankind has created, require us to face frightening and inconvenient truths. The building industry has great responsibilities, faces huge difficulties, yet also has many opportunities. It can make a positive, long-term contribution to society. Within the AECB, we need to maintain a relentless and informed optimism in the face of these challenges. We need to empower people in the industry to collaborate and undertake transformational action to make building practice radically more sustainable – locally, nationally and internationally.
2019 AECB Conference Page
See the conference web-page which has links to all the media resources and presentations from this great two day event.
- Set up in 1989 for pioneers working in the building industry, we are a long lived and resilient collective intelligence network. We have a dynamic constituency of over 1,000 members. Our boldest success has been to create the Passivhaus Trust, a wholly owned subsidiary, with over 250 members.
- We work by deploying, dynamic and collaborative means, and harnessing practical pioneering examples, to inspire radically faster uptake of effective thinking, tools and methods to guide, support and develop sustainable building practice.
- We bring together people from many disciplines and trades involved with research and development, the design plus manufacturing and construction sectors.
- We are guided by clear thinking and robust evidence.
- We pride ourselves on our financial and intellectual independence, our relevance and practicality, our ’can do’ attitude and forthright voice.
Since inception the AECB and its network have been identifying, investigating and clarifying key issues. We do this whilst promoting integrated and holistic thinking, learning from and sharing members expertise, setting and raising standards and stimulating innovation and experiment.
By 2030 we aim to have…
- Extensive, vibrant networks of expert advisors, young professionals and collaborating organisations.
- Significantly influenced and educated the next generation of people in the building industry
- Transformed our level of knowledge across the network
- Been part of an international movement for change that connects people with shared values in the building industry.
- Optimism – informed, brave, relentless.
- Responsibility – creative, fair, moral, restorative.
- Simplicity – radical, imaginative, science-based.
- Seeing the big picture, understanding the practicalities.
- A network of open, honest, generous members, where a diversity of people meet, debate and learn.
- Mainstreaming things that work, innovating in the gaps.
During the next five years, we will focus on achieving…
Greater Network Dynamism
- To involve more young people
- To inform and encourage activism
- To understand and learn from members
Greater Organisational Strength
- To strengthen relationships whilst expanding the size of our network
- To create greater volunteer and staff capacity
- To improve our systems and platforms
Greater Collaborative Reach
- To collaborate for better outcomes nationally and internationally
- To develop more effective ways to engage people
- To enhance our collective intelligence