Go to Forum Home General Board Bamboo flooring

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Can anyone recommend or comment on bamboo flooring? How ecological is it in general terms? I see it is laminated and therefore contains glue, how enviromentally friendly is the glue is it likely to be high VOC? Finally, is native hardwood such as Oak / Ash a better material for flooring above UFH?

Many thanks,

Paul

Anonymous

Certainly bamboo has a very rapid carbon fixation rate compared to timber. What does UFH stand for?

Anonymous

Under floor heating. I have seen a few websites advertising bamboo as an alternative to hardwood. But I am becoming more cynical the more I read about so called “green” products. Bamboo does grow very quickly and is pretty strong. But the manufacturing lamintaes bamboo and I am concerned about the glue that is use both environmentally and from a health perspective. Just wondered if anyone on here had looked into it.

Anonymous

All I know is that it's supposed to be as hard wearing, if not more, as hardwood. I fitted some once and it's very pleasant to work with. How do the costs compare with oak flooring?

Anonymous

Yes I have seen it is supposed to be very hardwearing. One site I have found is quoting £21.00 per sq metre which sounds very reasonable. What is turning out to be more difficult is if the bamboo is from FSC “forests” and even more difficult is finding info on the glue that is used in the construction, especially the VOC content

Anonymous

You've also got to be careful when sourcing oak flooring. A lot of companies are marketing oak floors at around the £20 per square metre mark as well. It certainly won't be FSC certified, but generally European oak is nothing to worry about – it's all from sustainably managed sources even if not certified, as we cut down all our old-growth forests centuries ago. But enquire exactly where its sourced from, and if it's Eastern Europe, especially Romania, Bulgaria or Ukraine, then it's best avoided, as old-growth forests are being decimated in that region.

In terms of the bamboo floor, I'd be interested to know what type of glue is used as well. I wouldn't imagine it would contain a particularly high concentration of glue; I'd see no reason it should be any higher than plywood or hardwood worktop, which are generally considered fairly benign.

Most external-grade plywood (ironically given the location where it's normally used) uses phenol-formaldehyde glues which are less problematic than urea-formaldehyde glues as used in internal-grade plywood, chipboard or MDF. Probably better to use external-grade ply. even indoors; e.g. kitchen furniture.

D.

Anonymous

Does that also apply to birch ply and hardwood worktop, David?

Anonymous

I mailed one of the suppliers and they said the glue was Dyno Glue which I believe is owned by the Dynea Group and the floor lacquer is sourced from Krumpp

Viewing 8 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.