Go to Forum Home General Board Sedum shortcuts

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

I've been asked to construct a little shelter over an earth oven for an event in Presteigne, Powys in May. This is the 2nd year of the event, last year was a great success and got a lot of interest in the area. The plan is to use sedum for a low maintenance green roof. Some seeds have been planted, but I'm expecting to buy sedum mat for the majority of the roof. However the buget is tight and I'm looking to save on the substrate. I'm thinking to use recycled polythene as a membrane and I remember reading once about using carpet as a reservoir/growing medium. Is this possible does anyone know?
        Thanks

Nick Grant
        Participant

Hi Pete

I wrote a bit in the Landscape board re cheap sedum roofs which I have done on my wkshop. Sedum doesnt seem to need a resevoir but carpet would protect the plastic from sharp stones. If you can keep sun off it and its just a shelter then I'd consider DPM.

Come and see us if you are south of Hereford any time.

Nick

SimmondsMills
          Participant

Pete
            We have done several turf roofs with 2 layers of DPM and old carpet on top to protect emmbrane – and as is turf – to retain a bit of moisture. With Sedum, you want it to drain but also need to protect the membrane. I suggest you ring Blackdown Horticultural (aecb members) and have a chat – i assume you may be buying the mat off them? Anyway , they seem friendly and would probably give you some general advice. They also do a green roof kit, with plug plants rather than mat. How about locally sourced crushed brick / rubble for the drainage layer? Also cheese / dairy works (i think) often have waste used pumice which is good…

Sedum can of course grow naturally on tiled roofs or sheet material roofs. Hope this early morning ramble is useful!

Anonymous

Hi,

Have you tried enviromat, these are the guys we use. http://www.enviromat.co.uk. Always helpful.
              -Paul-

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.