Go to Forum Home Building Design U-value calculations for windows and doors

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Studio Partington
      Participant

I've been looking at how, if at all, the presence of trickle vents is taken into account in whole unit u-value calculations for windows and doors.
        From a quick look through BS EN10077-1 the section for thermal conductivity through frames covers different types of window frames. Does this mean that the impact of air-gaps and cavities due to trickle ventilators, even those incorporated by window manufacturers effectively do not get accounted for in any heat loss calculations?

Mark Siddall
        Participant

Richard,
          Have you been looking at a particular section?

Without cracking open the standard my response would be:

1) The Uw is really just about conductivity so certains aspects of convection are excluded.
          2) The conductivity through certain air gaps do get some specific consideration – but not of the the trickle vents.
          3) From the Uw calculations that I've seen I've not seen any that consider thickle vents.

Not much help I suspect but I'd like to get a better handle on where you are going with that.

Mark

Anonymous

I think the right document is http://www.bre.co.uk/filelibrary/pdf/rpts/BR_443_%282006_Edition%29.pdf which says:
            Trickle vents are often provided in windows. While their presence affects
            heat transfer in practice, ventilation is regarded as a separate issue to
            transmission heat losses, so do not include the trickle vents in U-value
            determination. Specifically:
            ● in hot-box tests, the trickle vents should be closed and sealed with tape to
            ensure no air transfer;
            ● perform calculations as if the trickle vents were not present.

Nick Grant
            Participant

Here is an infra red photo of the trickle vents in our house!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.